The following is an example of how a 2 dimensional gridded item works in Magento 2
This 1 Gridded Item in Counterpoint creates 10 products in Magento:
- 1 Parent Configurable Product with 9 Associated Simple Items.
The SKU format for these products is as follows
- Configurable Product: ITEM NUMBER
- Simple Products: ITEM NUMBER|COLOR|SIZE
Each Color and Size combination is created as a separate "Not Visible Individually" Simple Item in Magento.
The Simple products have Visibility of: Not Visible Individually
- This means that these simple products will NOT show up on the website front-end
The Configurable product has Visibility of: Catalog, Search
- This means that the product shows up on the website front-end and can be found in a search
The following product attributes are used by the Configurable Product Only.
You do NOT need to populate or worry about changing these values for the Associated "Not Visible Individually" Simple Items.
- Short Description
- Meta Title
- Meta Description
- Meta Keywords
If you click on the Configurable Product and the click on the Associated Products tab as seen below, you will then see how all 10 of the simple products are associated with this parent Configurable Product
You will then see on the front-end of your website how all the different Color and Sizes show up in a drop down list or text box